Monday, May 16, 2005

Deja Vu

Regular readers of this blog will remember a post from January that described how I got out of jury duty. (Looks like the link doesn't work so just go to the January archives, it's the first post in the list). Turns out this also works for getting out of work. Of course, if you work in a hospital like I do, you get the added bonus of a trip to the Emergency Room.

I won't go into the details as it was a lot like that episode in January but I did manage to get to the phone and had a nurse come in to help me. The next few minutes are a blur as the nurse took my blood pressure and really didn't like the result. I remember someone putting a cool cloth on my neck and a lot of people helping me get into a wheelchair for a quick ride to the E.R. I also remember wishing I could get the blanket over my head so my co-workers didn't have to see me. Anyone want to take bets on how many people are going to ask me how I am and what happened, when I go back to work tomorrow? By the end of the day I am going to be tired of telling the story.

Long story short, I was doing much better a few minutes after I got to the E.R. The doctor didn't really do much except tell me to eat some breakfast so I will be following up with my regular doctor as soon as I can. Besides the drop in blood pressure, my blood sugar was a little on the high side. With diabetes in the family I want to be sure I am not heading down that road or, if I am, to get started on getting it under control. Hopefully I can get this taken care of before the Vegas trip but, either way, I will be taking it a little easier than I had originally planned. Passing out in the middle of the poker table is not something I want to experience.

I won't be playing a lot of poker between now and Vegas but I do have plenty of poker related posts in the works so my blog shouldn't be languishing during the next couple of weeks. As always, thanks for stopping by and I hope your day is going much better than mine.

No comments: