Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Spider-man is in the building

Round 1, Day 2 Bay 101 Shooting Star Tournament

Since I had to work this morning I didn't arrive until about half-way through level 3. I surveyed the scene and asked who had been knocked out. I was told Greg Raymer was out, Mimi Rogers went out right as I arrived, and Phil Hellmuth had been down to a chip and a chair but was still in. I then settled in to my spot from day one which was conveniently waiting for my arrival. From this area I had views of John Juanda, Jennifer Harmon, Daniel Negreanu, Annie Duke, and the top of Phil Hellmuth's head. Right in front of me was James Woods and, at the same table and on James's left, was an almost unrecognizable Tobey McGuire. Tobey was sporting his red NIKE hat, sunglasses, and his normal scruffy poker face. I could actually see the action from my angle today and, while concentrating on that I missed some of the all-in's.

I think Erick Lindgren and Paul Phillips were in a competition to see who could go all-in the most because it seemed like one of them was going all-in every few minutes. Not too long after I settled in Phil Laak and Johnny Chan were knocked out. Then it was on to the next level.

Level 4: Blinds 100/200, Ante 25, 192 remaining
  • Evelyn Ng all-in against some guy (not Andy Bloch as originally reported). She has AA he has JJ. Flop is K, 9, 4. Turn is another King. River is a Jack and Evelyn is out.
  • Daniel Negreanu all-in with his "favorite" hand 10, 7 vs. 22. Flop is A, 6, 4. Turn is a 9 and the river is a Q. Daniel is done.
  • Howard Lederer wanders over to check on his sister. Everybody say "Awwwwww".
  • Paul Phillips and Erick Lindgren all-in again and stay alive.
  • Jennifer Tilly all-in with A's and triples up.

Level 5: Blinds 150/300, Ante 50, 170 remaining

  • Lindgren wins again.
  • Annie Duke all-in on a 3-way pot. She only had T900 and is out.
  • Lindgren's luck runs out.
  • Tobey McGuire all-in against James Woods. James has him covered but Tobey's AQ holds up when he flops and rivers Q's. Then there table breaks and I head to the other end of the room.
  • Paul Phillips AA agains Phil Ivey KK. The A's hold. This is not a table I would want to be at. Besides Phillips and Ivey, Todd Brunson and Kent Washington are seated there.

Level 6: Blinds 200/400, Ante 50, 132 remaining

  • Phil Ivey was getting a massage and may have been too relaxed. He goes all-in with JJ and loses to A7 with a straight. Say bye to Phil Ivey.

That's when I had to leave for a class. Since then James Woods, Paul Phillips, Tobey McGuire, TJ Cloutier, and Alan Goehring have been busted. For up to the minute updates check out Pokerwire.com.

It doesn't look like I will get to see day 3 as I have to work late but I will try to head over on day 4 to see some of the 36 whittled down to the final 6. Since I didn't score any tickets for the final day, I won't be there and that sucks because my feet are killing me. I may never walk correctly again. (Anyone with connections want to help a girl out?)

Oh and when I left, Phil Hellmuth had worked his way up to a very healthy stack. Guess I won't be seeing that temper.

No comments: