Thursday, March 10, 2005

Quick one

Bay 101 Shooting Star Day 4

I managed to get over to the WPT tourny for a few hours this afternoon. They started at noon with 34 players and won't stop until they get down to the final 6. When I first arrived there were 4 bounties still remaining to be claimed, Antonio "the magician" Esfandari, Chip Jett, Men "the master" Nguyen, and Gus Hansen. Antonio was the first of the four to get busted and looked pretty devastated. Right before I left Gus busted out Chip and we were down to 2 shooting stars. I'm confidant both will make the TV broadcast.

The real surprise has been the unknown players, in particular, the chip leader Jay Martens. We started calling him Canada because, well, that's where he is from and his hat proclaims it. This guy is amazing. Stone cold and showing very little emotion. I truly think he might take the whole thing but, as we've seen before, the pressure could get to him. We'll all have to wait and see.

Anyway, I just wanted to make this a short post and I don't plan on posting anything about the final table. I won't be there to see it and I know some people prefer to wait for it to air on TV so I won't ruin it for anyone. Just make sure you check back for "Random Sunday". I'll be posting a Shooting Star special edition with some interesting tidbits and observations from my 3 days at the tourny. I promise it will be a fun one!

If you can't wait for TV, head over to Pokerwire, the updates are frequent.

No comments: