Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Not A Windmill In Sight....Part one

Maybe it was the thought of stepping onto a professional golf course for the first time in my life or maybe it was the thought of seeing Bill Murray in person but something was definitely clouding my judgment as I was getting dressed on Sunday morning. See, if you live in the Bay Area there is one weekend each year when the weather is guaranteed to be crappy. No matter what the weather person says, it will be cold and, at some point, it will rain. If you are lucky you might get a little bit of sun but chances are, you won't. Why I suddenly forgot this little fact, I don't know but it was the weekend of the Pebble Beach Pro-Am and I should have known better.

As I went to sleep Saturday night I was excited because I was going to be a spectator at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf tournament. I love this tournament. It's a chance to see some great celebrities make total fools of themselves as they play alongside some of the best professional golfers in the world. Which celebrities will make the cut is anybody's guess. Some have been trying and failing for years (see Ray Romano) while others show up for the first time and sail right through (see Kevin James last year). All I know is that I find it fun to watch and, thanks to Maura, I finally had a chance to experience it in person.

I guess the real reason I didn't dress properly on Sunday was because the weather had been so beautiful on Saturday. As I awoke to overcast conditions I kept telling myself that there was no way that my first time at my favorite professional golf event was going to be spoiled by nasty weather. Yeah, that logic works in real life. Anyway, I ended up throwing on a short-sleeve shirt, a sweat shirt, and I decided to carry a light-weight windbreaker. It's a good thing I was going to this event with Maura or I probably would have turned into a popsicle.

No comments: