Sunday, April 17, 2005

Random Sunday

Random Music

All week I have been enjoying the posts of other bloggers in regards to their poker music selection. The blogging community is definitely a mix of musical styles. Most offered a sample list from their I-pod shuffle but I don't have an I-pod. Trust me when I say that this is a good thing. If I had an I-pod at the poker table I would only serve to annoy my opponents to the point where they would probably gang up on me to take all my money. See, I have a tendency to sing along as the music is playing and I don't always realize I am doing it. As much as I love to sing, there is a reason I am not on a world tour right now and it has everything to do with my voice. To those of you who may hear some of my vocal stylings in Vegas (alcohol + music = more singing) I deeply apologize in advance.

Since I don't have the ability to share an I-pod shuffle with you I have come up with the next best thing, my station on Yahoo LaunchCast. For the past 2 weeks I have rated around 400 artists and songs to create a fairly accurate representation of my musical tastes. The music represents several genres and goes back several decades. So here it is.....my version of the I-pod shuffle.

1. Push - Matchbox Twenty
2. Hotel California - Eagles -
3. In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel - My favorite movie scene revolves around this song.
4. Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
5. Your Song - Elton John
6. I'll Stand By You - The Pretenders
7. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
8. Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
9. American Idiot - Green Day
10. Ironic - Alanis Morissette

That list doesn't even begin to show the wide range of music that I like. Throw in some country like Faith Hill and Toby Keith. A lot from the 70's and 80's as I love to relive my miserable childhood (the music was 100% better than the memories). Pat Benetar, Duran Duran, Queen, Pink Floyd are only a small part of that exhaustive list. There is also some guilty pleasure type of stuff on the list like Kelly Clarkson and Hillary Duff (laughing is allowed). About the only thing I don't like is hip-hop or rap or whatever it's called these days. It just doesn't do anything for me.

Random Suckout

It was actually a BB special and I was the perpetrator. I had 47o in the BB and no one raised so I saw the flop for free. Flop was 4K7 for two pair. The rest of the hand was rags and I eventually found myself all-in when the other guy thought (rightly) that his pair of kings would hold up. So I doubled up and sucked him out bad. I expected a plethora of swearing aimed at me but he stayed quiet and was taken out a few hands later. I felt bad but he should have raised pre-flop with his suited KQ.

Random Results

Every year, before NASCAR season starts, I sign up for fantasy racing on Yahoo sport. Most years I do okay, finishing in the top 5,000 out of 500,000 teams. Last year was an exception. Every race was the same, my drivers would start out well only to end up falling out of the race, usually near the end and often crashing on the last couple of laps. It was so bad I didn't even play the last four or five races. I was leary of playing this year but it makes the races more exciting to have something riding on the results (even if it is just a ranking).

My results after the 4/10 race: 437th - I have never been this high in the rankings.

I'll keep you all updated as the season progresses.

Random Poker Movie

I finally watched High Roller: The Stu Unger Story. I didn't know much about the man before watching the movie so I don't know how accurate it was. I did think it was very well done although I don't know who thought casting Vince Van Patton was a good idea. He's supposed to be acting but his voice is always in WPT commentator mode. It was actually kind of funny in an annoying way. But if you are expecting to see re-plays of Stu's WSOP wins, this isn't the movie for you. There is actually very little poker play shown. It is about a man's struggle with drugs and a gambling addiction, in other words, the side of poker we don't see on TV.

No comments: