Thursday, January 27, 2005

Filling the void

I started playing poker last summer. Hockey season was over and I needed something to fill the void left by the completion of the Stanley Cup finals. Since I had become a big fan of televised poker tournaments, I decided to give Texas Hold’em a shot. I signed up for Party Poker and immediately started messing around on the play money tables. Of course they eventually gave me some free money to try out the real tables with and, over the next few days, I shared that generous gift with several other poker players. It didn’t matter because I was having fun and, since hockey season was starting soon (yes, I was delusional), I wouldn’t have much time for poker.

Soon summer gave way to fall and my excitement over a new hockey season gave way to frustration as it became obvious that the NHL and the NHLPA weren’t going to get their act together and bust out a new contract. It was then that I realized I wasn’t going to be spending my nights at the HP Pavilion watching my beloved San Jose Sharks bring home the Stanley Cup for the first time. It was a heartbreaking moment that could only be helped by doing something fun so I started up the computer and hit the poker tables.

Since then I have graduated to the real money tables and have discovered a wonderful community of poker bloggers. I have discovered a new passion to fill the empty spaces left by two men acting like children (paging Goodenow and Bettmen) and I am having a good time in the process.

So, what happens if hockey comes back? I honestly don’t know but I’m sure that when I get ready to cross that bridge I’ll figure something out. Until then, you can find me at the poker tables under screen name April98.

No comments: