Monday, September 12, 2005

Not The Post I Intended To Write

I'm actually not sure if I had intended to write anything today but if I had, I don't remember what I was going to write about. See, I just got one of those heart-stopping phone calls. I checked my voicemail and there was a message from my step-father, Al, "You're mom is in the hospital." That was when my heart stopped.

I immediately called him back only to get a busy signal. "Get off the fucking phone!" I said aloud to an empty room. Finally, after about 5 minutes, I got through. He told me that she had been having chest pain for about 3 weeks and today it got so bad that she went to the employee health clinic at her work. They called an ambulance.

The good news it that it wasn't a heart attack. Her EKG and blood work was normal but they are keeping her overnight and won't let her go home tomorrow until she has a Stress Test. I talked to my mom and she sounds like she is doing fine. The idea of being on medication for the rest of her life is unappealing to her but I know she'll do whatever the doctor tells her to do. If she doesn't, I'll be on the next plane to Bangor to give her a swift kick in the ass.

No comments: