Saturday, October 11, 2008

Drama, Part One

I've been back from Maine for 2 weeks and in that time I've had a sinus infection and a bad allergic reaction to not one, but 2 drugs.  This is all just part of the joy of being me I guess.

I went to Maine to deal with what I called a family emergency.  It was more like family drama but no one looks at you funny when you say "emergency" they just assume someone is dieing and leave you alone.  

It all started on September 12th when I got a text from my mom telling me to call her.  When I eventually got through she was extremely upset.  It seems my jackass of a step-father had her served with divorce papers while she was at work.  Let's forget about how humiliating that is for a second, she was completely blindsided.  I'm not exactly sure how the next few hours played out but she ended up going home to find that the bastard had changed the locks on the door.  She had been locked out of her own house.  He did let her in to get some clothes but he basically kicked her out with no money and no where to go.

I spent the next hour trying to talk my mom down off a ledge.  She was being hysterical and unreasonable and scaring the crap out of me.  The second she suggested disappearing I knew I had to get on a plane.  I set her up in a hotel for the night and got on the red eye to Portland.  

When I got off the plane I took one look at my mom and thought for sure someone had died while I was in the air.  She looked devastated and when she hugged me I didn't think she was going to let go.  There was a lot of crying over the next few days as well as a visit to the house to pick up more stuff.  I resisted the urge to kill the bastard, since he carries a side arm with him at all times, and did my best to keep my mom from doing anything stupid.

I helped my mom hire a lawyer and set her up to live with my grandmother, her ex-mother in law.  My grandmother has always liked her better than my step-mother so she had no problem taking my mom in.  My mom also has her dog Toffee that she took from the bastard so I was comfortable with the set up.  My mom had a birthday while I was there and we had a small celebration for that.  Things were looking up when the asshole went and did the most ridiculous thing ever.....


No comments: